Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory root and I’ve been trying to eat some every single day for the last few months to help me recover naturally from a wrist injury. This Iced Turmeric Latte recipe makes it so easy and delicious to add to your diet! Turmeric has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine to treat a number of conditions and scientists believe that one of the reasons why turmeric is so powerful is that it contains curcumin. Its beneficial properties have been the subject of thousands of peer-reviewed and published studies.
The biggest benefit that I’ve personally witnessed is turmeric’s ability to fight inflammation. If you are suffering from any injuries (as I was several years ago in my tailbone and now with my wrist), turmeric can help reduce inflammation. I was amazed at how well it worked for me back then, and to this day – whenever I have an injury – I turn to turmeric.
This recipe is similar to Golden Milk, served over ice with a touch of honey, coconut water, and cinnamon. The coconut oil in this drink is essential, as this is what helps your body absorb all the goodness from the turmeric (which is fat-soluble) – so don’t skip this ingredient! I incorporate coconut oilin my diet often as it has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body and can assist in weight loss.
Choosing the best ingredients for this recipe:
- The cinnamon is optional, but I really recommend it!
- If you can’t find fresh turmeric, go ahead and use organic ground turmeric from the spice aisle. Keep in mind that most spices are irradiated and grown with conventional pesticides, if not organic. To experience all the healing benefits, it’s super important to use only high quality organic turmeric and cinnamon from a company that you trust.
You can make this amazingly delicious turmeric latte in three simple steps!
Pour a couple cups of coconut or almond milk into a small pot and stir in one tablespoon of raw honey and two teaspoons of coconut oil. Turn the heat on low and warm the milk for a few minutes, stirring it every so often until the honey and oil is well incorporated and it’s warm to touch…
Pour half a cup of coconut water into a blender and add three tablespoons of grated fresh turmeric (only use 1½ teaspoons if using ground turmeric) and a pinch of cinnamon. Give it a really good blend for a couple minutes…
To serve, fill a couple tall glasses halfway up with ice. Spoon a few tablespoons of the blended turmeric mix into the glass and pour the warm milk over the ice until the glass is full. Kick back your heals and enjoy it with a friend!
Food Babe’s Healing Iced Turmeric Latte
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh turmeric or 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- Pinch cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup coconut water
- 8-10 ice cubes
- Place the milk, honey and coconut oil in a small pot over low heat to warm. Once warm to the touch, take off the heat.
- Place the turmeric, cinnamon and coconut water in a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes.
- Fill a glass halfway with ice, and add 3-4 tablespoons turmeric mix. Fill the glass the rest of the way with the warm milk mix, roughly 1 cup. Enjoy!
**Please use all organic ingredients if possible
Healthy Living Social Courtesy of Food Babe